[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jul 2 06:30:39 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 18:16 -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> > (I wrote a script to convert from vpopmail structure to a better
> > structure when we moved from that mess to postfix/dovecot/mysql a few
> > years back, that conversion, including moving mail took all of 45
> > minutes, most of that was copying mail, in the early days I did not like
> > nor trust postfix, but are with it today and wouldnt use anything else
> > again, in case I change jobs I've always kept my converting script hehe)
>
> Sounds like something to publish on the Dovecot wiki. :)

I guess I could hey, wouldn't take too much sanitising (removal of
company specific requirements on top of mail converting) I don't think.

it was generlly designed to open a CDB file or MySQL table, take core
components of that and add it to the vmail MySQL DB, get each users mail
from the domain/A/1/blah  type format and move it
to  /var/vmail/domain/?/?/?/user/Maildir,  where as an example, the ?'s
would translate to be /n/o/e/noel/Maildir/... the structure we use with
Dovecot using dovecots LDA, we don't use postfix's.

> (says the guy who's supposed to do a vpopmail conversion)

hehehe  away from, I hope :) ? CDB? already using MySQL?