[Dovecot] Quota in mysql dict not properly recalculated on 1.2?

Joan aseques at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 16:46:38 EEST 2010

2010/7/2 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
> On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 14:31 +0200, Joan wrote:
>> > Did you try the quota recalculation when logging in normally, instead of
>> > with --exec-mail?
>> I sent a 5M mail to myself, there's the mail  in inbox and the copy to
>> sent (amounting 10M), I connected to the server and manually removed
>> the mail (rm file).
>> After that sending a new mail updates the quota, but it doesn't recalculate it.
>
> Right. Quota isn't automatically recalculated if you go manually adding
> or removing files.
I see, I expected to have something like when I delete the maildirsize
file (when using maildir++ quotas) and dovecot automatically
recalculates the quota.

>> After deleting the entry for test at testing.com from the database, the
>> quota gets properly recalculated.
>
> So the problem exists only with --exec-mail?
Yes, you're right, the proper quotas don't get calculated with
exec-mail and most of the users won't enter ever via webmail and only
download mails via pop

>> The problem is that I rely on db quota for some accounting scritpts,
>> and the users might not enter to their webmail or download the mail
>> for days.
>>
>> How could I trigger this quota recalculation?
>
> If the problem is only with --exec-mail, you could create a master user
> that can login to any user's account and triggers the quota
> recalculation. Something like:
>
> printf "a login destuser*masteruser masterpass\nb getquotaroot inbox\n" | nc localhost 143
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/MasterUsers
Wow, yet another amazing feature of dovecot. This is really a swiss
knife mailserver :P
I will try to purge the wrong quotas and see what happens when new
mail is delivered (it's better no quota than wrong quota)

>> .- Maybe the most practical would be to have a crontab to update the
>> real values from time to time, at least until 2.0 is not available in
>> our environment...
>
> In v2.0 you can do it even more easily :)
> doveadm quota recalc -u username
I hope I can get there soon :)

Thanks again