[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Fri Jul 2 18:11:12 EEST 2010

On 2010-07-02 10:26 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> You mentioned nothing of outbound mail in your diatribe, only
> inbound. That means you only perform half of your duties as a mail
> OP. There are numerous scenarios in which outbound mail will get
> deferred, sometimes for up to 5 days or more. Users have no clue
> there is a problem unless the receiving party is expecting the
> particular email and it doesn't arrive in a timely manner. By your
> own statement it would appear that you simply wait until the
> deferment times out and your user finally receives an NDR.

 # postconf -n | grep delay_warning
delay_warning_time = 15m
 #

Other than that I agree absolutely with the rest, except to note that
most of this monitoring can be done automatically with tools designed to
*watch* for warning signs, and this *may* have been what Noel was
silently referring to...

--

Best regards,

Charles