[Dovecot] dovecot-1.2.12 fails to build on Solaris 8 and 10

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Jul 5 15:42:33 EEST 2010

> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 05:56:54PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Makes me wonder.  However my simple test code works fine.
>> Something very fishy going on here.
>
> 	Just as a datapoint. Here is 1.2.12 on opensolaris 2009.06

While that is very far away from production Solaris 8 it is a valid
datapoint. However I did manage to find the ID-Ten-T error that I was
having related to a CFLAGS switch of all things.

# uname -a
SunOS titan 5.8 Generic_127722-03 i86pc i386 i86pc

# /opt/csw/sbin/dovecot --version
1.2.12
# /opt/csw/sbin/dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=poll ipv6 openssl
Mail storages: maildir mbox raw shared
SQL drivers:
Passdb: checkpassword pam passwd passwd-file shadow
Userdb: passwd passwd-file prefetch static

If you wonder why it is compiled on a ten year old OS it is because of the
Solaris ABI ( Application Binary Interface ) stability in which *anything*
that compiles and runs on Solaris 8 will run everywhere else flawlessly.
However, your dovecot compiled on that OpenSolaris beta release won't run
anywhere else but on that machine. In fact, no promises on that[1]
OpenSolaris release either.  :-)

Dennis

[1] keep in mind that there ha never been a prod ready release of
OpenSolaris. Maybe someday but Oracle isn't talking. :-(