[Dovecot] Manually creating folders from terminal

A. J. Giurato junk at pastalovers.net
Wed Jul 7 17:59:40 EEST 2010

I'm trying to use a script to create a mailbox structure.  I'm aware that the structure should look like:
~/.maildir/.INBOX/{cur,tmp,new}
~/.maildir/.INBOX.Subfolder1/{cur,tmp,new}
~/.maildir/.INBOX.Subfolder2/{cur,tmp,new}
~/.maildir/.INBOX.Subfolder2.Subsubfolder1/{cur,tmp,new}

I have tried manually making those directories and using the "maildirmake.dovecot" command that my system has.  I feel that in the past, folders I have made this way worked.  However, now none are showing up in my clients.

In Thunderbird, they aren't even listed on the "Subscribe" window for me to enable.  Using Squirrelmail doesn't show them either.

Essentially what I am doing is taking my current IMAP dir structure, and making a copy in a subfolder called ".INBOX.Archive.<year>" to archive my old mail.  Thus, .INBOX.Subfolder1.Subfolder2 becomes .INBOX.Archive.2009.Subfolder1.Subfolder2.

My system:
Ubuntu 8.04

# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
ssl_listen: *
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_access_groups: mail
default_mail_env: ~/.maildir
mail_location: ~/.maildir