[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jul 8 02:50:24 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 09:26 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Noel Butler put forth on 7/1/2010 4:46 PM:
>
> < snipped the juvenile stabs >
>
> > oh but as a parting shot, with all that mail we get, little spam, scams
> > or viruses gets to our users, that says we are doing something right,
> > and it hasn't been since around 2004 that we had any particular smtp
> > server in an DNSBL, and then it was only one of a dozen (0 day virus
> > infected windows weenie) , and although I was  once a member of the
> > "inner boys club" being spam-l,  Jerr'ys comment and my agreeance are
>
> You've been looking at this from the wrong perspective the entire time, and
> apparently completely missed my original point, which was keeping a close eye
> on what's going on with one's SMTP servers.

*sigh*

are you really this stupid or just trolling ?

> You mentioned nothing of outbound mail in your diatribe, only inbound.  That

I guess your trolling childish mind over looked the comment about RBL,
which I think kinda infers  "outbound"

> means you only perform half of your duties as a mail OP.  There are numerous
> scenarios in which outbound mail will get deferred, sometimes for up to 5 days
> or more.  Users have no clue there is a problem unless the receiving party is
> expecting the particular email and it doesn't arrive in a timely manner.  By
> your own statement it would appear that you simply wait until the deferment
> times out and your user finally receives an NDR.

fuck me dead, if you think I am going to sift through all deferred log
messages you seriously are not living in the same universe as I.
you have NO idea on the volume of mail the servers I'm responsible for
process, or my servers configurations or automated monitoring, so stop
making your dumbass assumptions.

> A good seasoned mail OP is going to monitor his/her logs, via any number of

sure, if there are a tiny SOHO like you or your other little spam-l
mates.
so sorry that we dont do what you do, but hey I guess the fact we get on
average, 2 abuse complaints and maybe 4 or 5 general mail complaints
from our users (unrelated to spam) a week, shows we know what we are
doing, and given the volume of mail, I'll tell you now i'd still be over
the moon if we got 20 abuse and general complaints a day! but the fact
we dont, and it all runs smoothly, shows we know what we are doing.
Pretty clear your capabilities are not up to the standard that I expect.

> To answer your question, yes, their employers _DO_ "really know" and that's
> exactly why they hired them.  They want proactive postmasters and SAs.  Most

If you, or anyone on my staff wasted their time doing things like this I
d sack your time ass in an instant,
the only "looking at logs" that goes on here, is immediately after a
software upgrade to ensure things are working.

now, be gone, I have nothing further to discuss with you troll, this
thread left Dovecot topic a long time ago.