[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0 with LMTP

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu Jul 8 11:06:38 EEST 2010

Thiago Henrique wrote:
> I'm testing Dovecot 2.0.
>
> I plan to use Dovecot 2.0 with thousands of domains per server. My user base is under virtual MySQL.
>
> Is there a way to make the LMTP not make query to MySQL for each message delivered ? I'm afraid that the MySQL server does not support the load.

A "SELECT" query retrieving a single record on a MySQL database should
be a cheap operation.

How long are your queries taking?

Your common queries should work principally by index scans.

Your indexes should be entirely in RAM.

So queries which retrieve a single row from a table should run in O(log
N) time, which in my experience is usually measured in milliseconds.

Bill