[Dovecot] dovecot director service

Xavier Pons xavier.pons at uib.es
Thu Jul 8 11:29:44 EEST 2010

  El 08/07/2010 10:00, Oliver Eales escribió:
>>> You can install two Dovecot instances on the same server (set
>>> different base_dir for them), one as director and another as mail
>>> server. A bit annoying to have two of them, but it should work.
>> I suppouse, this require to have different IPs address for every
>> instance?
>> If I have different dovecot instances on same host, one like proxy
>> and another like mail backend, the director service will detect both
>> failures of
>> director service like of backend servers? or only detect the first one?
>
> You will have to build some kind of HA environment in front of the
> proxys. If you just use DNS round-robin for connects to the proxy
> server (the instance) client connection attempts to this particular
> server will fail. The director service is only for user-stickyness
> (and HA) between the 1st and the 2nd tier. Most common use would be in
> a NFS storage backend.

Yes, we will have two hardware balancers in front of proxies. Thus,  the
director service will detect failures of backend servers and not forward
sessions them? how detects if a  backend server it's alive or not?
The command 'doveadm director status', gives information about status of
backend mailservers or of director servers?
Sorry for so many questions ...

Thanks
Xavier