[Dovecot] problems with sieve under 2.0...

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu Jul 8 11:48:41 EEST 2010

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl> writes:
>> It is related to that change, yes. I fixed the problem, but I am still
>> not entirely happy with the error handling of the store action.
>
> It would be best, I think, if the system failed safe (i.e. if it did not
> lose the user's mail in case of error, but rather stored it in the main
> mailbox or in some sort of last ditch error mailbox.)

That's exactly what it does now and if the Sieve engine is to blame for
losing e-mail, it is always a bug.

Anyway, that kind of error handling is not what I meant. It pertains to
the problem that Timo described and the passing of error codes and error
strings between the Dovecot API and the Sieve engine in general. That is
all a bit ugly right now.

> It should also report a reasonably sane error in syslog...

This type of error is mainly useful for developers, much like a
Segfault. Occurences of this kind are always a bug and are fixed as soon
as possible. Considering the fact that I've added a test for this case
in the test suite, it should not surface again in the future.

Regards,

Stephan.