[Dovecot] TLS Issue

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Mon Jul 12 23:32:29 EEST 2010

Leander S. <leander.schaefer at googlemail.com> (Sa 10 Jul 2010 23:14:45 CEST):
> Hi,
>
> I use Postfix & Dovecot with TLS / SSL - it authenticates / works
> fine - except I'm always getting this ugly SSL cert warning messages
> mit MTAs.
> It says that the following:
>

> "You have attempted to establish a connection with "server".
> However, the security certificate presented belongs to "*.server".
> It is possible, though unlikely, that someone may be trying to
> intercept your communication with this web site."
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Web site?

> Is there a serverside solution that I wont get that any more? Why is
> * as a wildcard not working? Iwonder How gMail or other providers
> solve that issue

If a wildcard is accepted, depends on the client. Some clients enforce
at least two labels (domains) following the wildcard (like:
*.example.com).

Why do you really need a wildcard cert?

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -