[Dovecot] Unable to get Dovecot LDA/deliver working

Frank van Amsterdam frank122595 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 02:42:54 EEST 2010

I've added some more information. This is the error.

2010-07-18T03:15:55.870734+02:00 h1690529 postfix/pipe[20360]: CC8F2AEC087:
to=<test at domain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.03, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01,
dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure)

I don't have any clue what this warning/error means.

I was 'playing' with /etc/postfix/master.cf.

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d
${user}@${nexthop}

I've tried several parameters like -d <username>, -m <mailbox> or -d
${user}.

2010-07-18T03:43:27.569493+02:00 h1690529 postfix/pipe[3723]: 81238AEC087:
to=<test at domain.com>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.04, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01,
dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)

It looks like it was delivered properly, but it wasn't. I was written to
/home/vmail/Maildir instead of /home/vmail/test/Maildir. All incoming e-mail
was delivered to /home/vmail/Maildir if i used deliver -d <username> -m
<mailbox>

My LDAP tree looks like this and it's very simple.

dc=domain,dc=com
+contacts (Thunderbird contacts)
+groups (mainly Posix groups for applications)
+users (real users and mailing lists)

So the DN of the user 'test' is uid=test,ou=users,dc=domain,dc=com

I want e-mail sent to test at domain.com or for example test.test.test at domain
being delivered in the maildir of the user 'test'.

I'm almost sure it has something to do with the deliver parameters. What can
it be?

I'm planning to build a new server. I've done it before. Everytime I make
the same mistake again. That's something what I want to prevent.

Thanks again in advance,

Frank