[Dovecot] users can not login

Daminto Lie dlie76 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 19 04:57:04 EEST 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help here. Recently, I decided I  want to
move from Windows XP Pro OS to a Linux OS such as Ubuntu. I am  new to Linux OS
but willing to learn. I have installed Ubuntu Server  10.04, Apache2, MySQL5,
PHPMyAdmin, Postfix, DoveCot and Squirrelmail on  my server. I have checked them
all and they are all up and running at  the moment. Now, what I am trying to do
here is to add a couple of users  and see whether they can login to
squirrelmail. The result is none of  those two users are able to login. I went
to check the mail.log and the  error message is as follows
Ubuntu-MailServer dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1  attempts):
user=<david.keith>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1,  lip=127.0.0.1, secured

My silly question is I do not quite understand what the above error  means. How
do i enable users to login and test to see if they can send  and receive emails.
Users can login via squirrelmail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.