[Dovecot] Dovecot and SSD

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at umd.com.au
Fri Jul 30 04:05:54 EEST 2010

On 07/29/10 21:40, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Stan Hoeppner<stan at hardwarefreak.com>  wrote:
>>
>> How many users?
>>

> To start with, about 20 users. It will grow to around 100 users at the max.

Umm... apart from "shiney toys", is there any legitemate reason for such
expense on performance tuning?

I ask because we have about 30 users using our IMAP server (Dovecot
1.1), which also serves as our main Samba server, and until recently was
also a CUPS server.

This on a Sun V100 ( 450MHz UltraSPARC-IIi ) with 1G RAM and two dull,
standard IDE HDDs ( a 40GB for OS and mail, and a 320GB for Samba).

It spends a lot of its life idle, so handling 100 users would be no issue.

I seriously doubt any machine you put together today would be anywhere
near as slow, so I fail to understand why you'd be spending extra money
and time on performance tuning.

--
Curtis Maloney