[Dovecot] relay access denied problem thru iphone imap auth

Bryan Vyhmeister dovecot at bsdjournal.net
Fri Jul 30 06:45:03 EEST 2010

Here is the relevant portions of my postconf -n output. I am using
dovecot 1.1 as LDA which is a little different than your setup. I am
using the iPhone with this and it works perfectly. Never had a
problem.

broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated
reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = no
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = etc/example.com.crt.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = etc/example.com.key.pem
smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = high
smtpd_tls_mandatory_exclude_ciphers = aNULL, MD5
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_mailbox_domains = example.com, example.net, example.org
virtual_transport = dovecot

Some relevant lines from master.cf as well:

smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
submission inet n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
1025      inet n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
smtps     inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

In my situation, all SMTP AUTH is sent through port 465 (smtps) using
TLS. I hope that helps.

Bryan