[Dovecot] Dovecot and SSD

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Jul 30 08:09:07 EEST 2010

Marc Perkel put forth on 7/29/2010 4:35 PM:

> I've been wondering about SSD as well. I have about 1000 users many
> which have really large inboxes and I'm using maildir format. SDD has no
> seek time and I wonder if those drive heads are all over the place as
> people do searhes and such. So if anyone does this I'm interested to see
> how it works.

In this case, where mailbox file storage likely outstrips cost effective SSD
capacity, simply moving the Dovecot index files to SSD should make quite a
difference in MUA responsiveness.  Moving the local MTA's spool to the SSD
would help as well by taking seek pressure off the disks.

Not all SSDs are created equal.  Read reviews before purchasing.  Get one with
good mutli threaded/multi user random read/write performance.

--
Stan