[Dovecot] Dovecot aspects of fighting spam

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Tue Jun 1 19:55:12 EEST 2010

On 01/06/2010 17:05, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:01, William Blunn<bill+dovecot at blunn.org>  wrote:
>

>> Get your anti-spam software to add header records to the messages, then use
>> Dovecot LDA Sieve to filter based on those header records.
>>
> So I can run Sieve as part of the deliver?  Or does it run soon after that?

TBH I have never used Dovecot's LDA or either of its two available Sieve
plug-ins.

But if we read http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve , there are some
interesting bits:

"The Dovecot Sieve plugin provides mail filtering facilities at time of
final message delivery using the Sieve (RFC 5228
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5228.txt>) language."

"Sieve is implemented as a plugin to deliver <http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA>."

"The supported Sieve features are:

Extension: fileinto
CMU Sieve: Yes
Dovecot Sieve: Yes
Purpose: Allows storing messages in folders other than INBOX
..."

It would appear that if Dovecot 'deliver' is invoked as part of your
system's mail delivery processing, then 'deliver' can run Sieve over
messages, and have it file messages into folders depending on rules.

I went looking for an example Sieve configuration to file messages which
SpamAssassin had marked as spam
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sieve+spamassassin

First hit was: "Spamfiltering using Spamassassin and sieve"
http://tomster.org/blog/archive/2004/12/15/spamfiltering-using-spamassassin-and-sieve

Second hit was in our back yard: "Dovecot Sieve plugin: SpamAssassin
tagged mail filtering"
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve#SpamAssassin_tagged_mail_filtering

Bill