[Dovecot] Sieve GUI

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:55:52 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 14:45, Frank Cusack
<frank+lists/dovecot at linetwo.net> wrote:
> On 6/1/10 2:10 PM -0400 Phil Howard wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:42, e-frog <e-frog at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> This might be helpful:
>>>
>>>  http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve/
>>
>> Right now only time for a quick look.  Looks like yet another server
>> with yet another protocol (via port 4190), rather than integrated into
>> IMAP as an extension.  I'm doubting all my email clients have support
>> for this.
>
> You're wrong on it being another server; it does work within IMAP.  But
> you are right in that almost no clients support it.  Mulberry and
> thunderbird are the only ones I know of.  However, there are web clients
> that work and given that sieve scripts are rarely modified it probably
> isn't too hard to justify forcing your user to go to a web page; much
> more possible than forcing them to change mail readers.

The RFC describes otherwise ... e.g. a new protocol, which would
connect to a new daemon.  An extension to an Email client can still
connect over to port 4190 to do the ManageSieve thing.

Doing that via a web site, which can also support a few canned scripts
or script options, probably is a better route.  But our internal web
server is still on the to-do list, so that's gonna wait, here.  In the
mean time, I just need a short term solution to divert tagged-as-spam
messages into the INBOX-spam (or something like that) folder.  I'll
probably just go ahead and write a shim program in C (as easy for me
as a script is for others) to check for the tag and add the -m option
to deliver as needed.

>> Looks like I will need to do a lot of reading on Sieve and ManageSieve
>> to be sure it's safe.  For one thing, I want to turn the vacation
>> feature off unless it can cross check a list of valid senders (user
>> contacts).
>
> Not possible.  You'd have to implement your own customized support
> for that.

I guess for now I'll be leaving this out.  I don't want to be a
vacation backscatter source.