[Dovecot] Managesieve connection hangs with TLS

Joel James Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Thu Jun 3 19:51:50 EEST 2010

Hello,

I've got dovecot 1.2.11 running on Fedora 12 (x86_64) with the
managesieve protocol and sieve plugins enabled, with deliver handling
local delivery.  I've set

disable_plaintext_auth = yes
ssl = yes
ssl_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
mail_debug = yes

protocol managesieve {
  listen = *:2000
  login_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
  mail_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
}

and generated local SSL certificates; everything is going fine on the
IMAP end of things (clients ask if I trust the certificate the first
time, etc).  I've open the appropriate ports, etc.  No problems with
mail delivery.

However, I can't connect to the managesieve daemon.  I've tried the
Emacs client[1], and it just hangs.  I tried manual login to port 2000
and here's what happened:

joel at chondestes: /etc/mail > gnutls-cli --starttls -p 2000 localhost
Resolving 'localhost'...
Connecting to '127.0.0.1:2000'...

- Simple Client Mode:

"IMPLEMENTATION" "dovecot"
"SIEVE" "comparator-i;octet comparator-i;ascii-casemap fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date"
"SASL" "PLAIN"
"STARTTLS"
"NOTIFY" "mailto"
"VERSION" "1.0"
OK "Dovecot ready."
*** Starting TLS handshake
  C-c C-c

That last line is me hanging up in Emacs' shell buffer because nothing
was happening.

Sorry to sound like such a newbie, but what do I need on the client end
to complete the TLS transaction?  What else do I need to set up to get
managesieve to connect?

Thanks,

Joel

Footnotes: