[Dovecot] Fwd: converting from vm-pop3d

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 06:26:53 EEST 2010

> You didn't really seem to have any specific questions.

Sorry. I'll try to be more specific.

My first question is what do to about the mail format. Right now it's
mbox and from reading the migration I understand that having dovecot
point to these files is going to reset the pointers and cause people
to re-download the files. I see a couple of scripts there that might
help. One of them converts the mbox to maildir the other messes with
the UIDs of the message. Which is the better approach? Would
converting to maildir be a better long term solution?

Also vm-pop3d has their own quota system and passwd files. The passwd
files are in /etc/virtual/%d/passwd, they are just username:password
and nothing else. Can I safely presume dovecot can read these? All the
files in the /etc/virtual/$d are owned by mail.mail BTW.

The quota file is also in the above mentioned directory. Would dovecot
be able to parse that OK?

The mails are delivered to /var/spool/virtual/%d/%u  There are no
other files that I can see, there are no other directories for
mailboxes that I can see (sorry I didn't set this up). Those
directories are owned by %u.mail and so are the files in the
directories.  Do I have to change the ownership of all these to the
mail user? I understand that dovecot uses the same user for all
mailboxes.

So far I have the following.

mail_location =
mbox:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%u_mbox:INBOX=/var/spool/virtual/%d/%u
userdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/virtual/%d/passwd

#We use this if all the access is done by the same user.
userdb static {
  args = uid=8 gid=8 home=/var/spool/virtual/%d/%u
}

does that sound about right?

>> Finally the dovecot in the fedora repos is 1.0.X and I notice that the
>> latest in 1.2.X is there a more up to date dovecot RPM repo?
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/PrebuiltBinaries

I chose to compile it from scratch so I have the 1.2 binaries installed.

> If possible, try it first with a few users. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration should tell the most important stuff.

Any good strategy for attempting this? Put dovecot on a different port perhaps?