[Dovecot] Evolution and Thunderbird do different things?

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:15:58 EEST 2010

I'm trying both Evolution and Thunderbird on my IMAP server, and find
that there are differences in how some things are done, between
clients.  Shouldn't there have been a standard way to do these things
in the IMAP protocol?  The first thing I noticed is that when deleting
email from one client, it puts a "T" on the file name, leaving it
where it is, and from the other client, it moves the mail to a
".Trash" directory on the server (and created a 2nd "Trash" folder ...
so now I have 2 "Trash" folders, one with some deleted mail in it, and
the other with some deleted mail in it).

I'm not saying Dovecot has a problem here.  But maybe IMAP the
protocol does for not having a standard way to do things, and these
clients, for not doing it the same way (if there is some standard
somewhere).  Any IMAP experts here know what the story is with this?