[Dovecot] Question about directory hashing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 11 16:39:09 EEST 2010

On pe, 2010-06-11 at 08:16 +0200, Javier de Miguel Rodrí­guez wrote:

> mail_location=maildir:/buzones/us.es/%1Hu/%2.1u/%n but I get the
> following directory tree:
>
> `-- 0
>      |-- -
>      |-- 1
>      |-- 2
..

Numbers with %H work in a special way (actually I had completely
forgotten about this):

%H - take a 32bit hash of the variable and return it as hex. You can
also limit the hash value. For example %256Hu gives values 0..ff. You
might want padding also, so %2.256Hu gives 00..ff. This can be useful
for example in dividing users automatically to multiple partitions.

>      The ideal directory layout should be the following:
>
>      First directory level: Letters from a to z
>      Second directory level: Numbers from 0 to 200
>      Third directory level: %n (username without @domain)

That's not possible, but you could have the same number of directories
with: %2.26Hn/%2.200Hn/%n