[Dovecot] how to setup a simplest travel-mode read-only IMAP

Seetamraju Uday Bhaskar Sarma sarma at uss-infr.com
Mon Jun 14 05:15:05 EEST 2010

Hi All,

I don't use gmail/hotmail etc...
I have been a Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird user for ever now...
The mail and folders are all on my private fileserver.

But on certain tours, I do know in advance that I would like IMAP access
to my mail folders.
Nothing but the simplest read-only access to the years of accumulated email.
(All that email was soft-mounted onto /mnt/mail for safety and simplicity.)

I have read the FAQ and Wiki.
I even created the /cur /new /tmp folders under /mnt/mail... (after
noting errors in dovecot logs)
But when I test from another machine as :-
        # mutt -f imap://sarma@10.0.1.10/Inbox
mutt comes up blank.
I did check that /mnt/mail/Inbox exists, and has read permissions to all.

Ideally, I don't want dovecot updating my mail files.
I just simply want to read my old mail, while my new mail will continue
to reside-on/be-accessible via the webmail.

Thanks in advance!

# /usr/sbin/dovecot --version
1.0.15

# /usr/sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_processes_count: 1
login_max_processes_count: 2
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location:
maildir:/mnt/mail:INDEX=/var/mail/dovecot/index:CONTROL=/var/mail/dovecot/lib:LAYOUT=fs
mbox_dirty_syncs: no
mbox_lazy_writes: no
auth default:
  passdb: