[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Tue Jun 15 13:27:34 EEST 2010

On 2010-06-15 4:05 AM, Veiko Kukk wrote:
> I prefer "don't fix if it isn't broken" philosophy.

I also subscribe to that philosophy, but there are limits.

Keeping current makes sure you take advantage of possibly unknown
bugfixes and/or security holes, and also means when asking for help you
won't get responses like 'that's already fixed in the current stable
version', not to mention (sometimes considerable) performance
improvements - at least in the case of dovecot.

Security is the main reason I like to stay on current stable versions
for software I use though.

> I don't see that 1.2 is stable enought from what I have read from this
> list and Changelog. There have been lots of bugfixes during last year
> for 1.2 branch.

It is stable. There were a lot of bugfixes to the 1.1 branch too... most
of which are corner cases that most people will never encounter anyway.

On more than one occasion I have seen Timo say he won't fix some
particular problem in older versions because it is already fixed in
current stable version, etc...

No software is bug free - thankfully, Timo is like 'The Flash' when it
comes to fixing bugs with dovecot...

> From reading changelog (http://www.dovecot.org/doc/NEWS), I did not find
> functional improvement to justify switching to 1.2 instead of keeping
> really stable 1.1.

Again - 1.2 is the current stable branch.

Luckily for you though, there are no laws requiring anyone to use any
particular version of any particular piece of software... ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles