[Dovecot] Logout after SSL/TLS negociation

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:18:49 EEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:42, bmfr <bastien.murzeau at palomanetworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks for your reply, I'm using a thrid party IMAP client (can not disclose
> its name) and testing with other IMAP clients work. I'm wondering if you had
> an idea of what could trigger this LOGOUT msg from the client and if it
> could be something I could fix from the server side.

I know of no such behaviour with clients I've been using (AppleMail,
Evolution, Outlook, Thunderbird).  So I have to suspect something in
that third party client itself.  Maybe the people who support it can
tell you how to enabled client debugging modes that give more detail
than just the IMAP traffic.  Apparently it is making the decision to
do a LOGOUT.

One speculation is that the server certificate was not authenticated
via a known CA certificate.  Is the server certificate signed by a
well known (to the client) certificate authority?  Ordinarily, a
client encountering this should notify you about it, somehow (popup in
GUI, messages in text, syslog for web based, etc).  Check such logs,
too.