[Dovecot] New admin, not much success

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Wed Jun 16 18:44:46 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 08:28 -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
>> Jun 16 08:22:07 eeebox dovecot: pop3(cmcmanis): Error: user cmcmanis:
>> Initialization failed: Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting
>> failed: mbox: mbox root directory can't be a file: /home/cmcmanis/Mailbox (
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox)
>>
> ..
>

>> Now it strikes me that this message indicates that Dovecot is confused about
>> how mail is delivered on my system and is looking for a Maildir
>> implementation when I"m using single files.
>>

> No, it's looking for a directory containing mbox files. See the wiki URL
> and "Only /var/mail/ mboxes" section in it.

One wonders if Chuck's stated requirement may be reasonably served by
something like this:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=~/Mailbox

and create a directory "mail" in each user's home directory.

This should then make Dovecot consider each user's INBOX to be an
mbox-format file at "~/Mailbox", and also allows Dovecot to keep indexes
in the directory "~/mail", thereby enabling Chuck's users to take
advantage of Dovecot's indexing functionality.

Bill