[Dovecot] New admin, not much success

Chuck McManis chuck.mcmanis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 18:46:19 EEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 08:28 -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:
> >
> > Jun 16 08:22:07 eeebox dovecot: pop3(cmcmanis): Error: user cmcmanis:
> > Initialization failed: Initializing mail storage from mail_location
> setting
> > failed: mbox: mbox root directory can't be a file: /home/cmcmanis/Mailbox
> (
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox)
> ..
>

> > Now it strikes me that this message indicates that Dovecot is confused
> about
> > how mail is delivered on my system and is looking for a Maildir
> > implementation when I"m using single files.
>
> No, it's looking for a directory containing mbox files. See the wiki URL
> and "Only /var/mail/ mboxes" section in it.
>
> Thanks Timo, I've read that wiki page a few times, and adding INDEX=MEMORY
hasn't changed things. (random 2.0 bug report, unless you set  info_log_path
in conf.d/10-logging the additonal information doesn't come out)

I suspect its that I'm trying to do everything in a single file, from qmail
delivering mail there, to dovecot pulling out messages for users. (I did
that to manage storage controls). Reading the qmail/LDA page it seems like
dovecot really wants me to have qmail deliver into an 'inbox' file and then
to transfer email from that file into the local directory 'mbox' file while
it works.

--Chuck