[Dovecot] Problem configuring rawlog with 2.0beta6

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 17 06:36:46 EEST 2010

The initial problem I was seeing after upgrade from 2.0beta5 to
2.0beta6 was error messages from my Android phone K9 client that
dovecot was reporting -1 messages in various mailboxes. These
mailboxes do have the special "Mail System Internal Data" message in
them.

In trying to get more information for debugging, I tried toenable
rawlog using the same configuration I used successfully with 2.0beta5,
namely:

service imap {
  executable = imap imap-postlogin
}

service imap-postlogin {
  executable = script rawlog
  unix_listener imap-postlogin {
  }
}

(full dovecot -n below), but instead of successful rawlog writes, I got
the following log messages:

Jun 16 19:46:36 sbh16 dovecot: script: Fatal: Client not compatible
with this binary (connecting to wrong socket?)

Jun 16 19:46:36 sbh16 dovecot: imap: Error:
fd_read(/usr/local/var/run/dovecot/imap-postlogin) failed: disconnected

So the first question is how do I configure rawlog for 2.0beta6?

And the next question is why the "-1 messages".

Here's dovecot -n

# dovecot -n
# 2.0.beta6: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5 i686 CentOS release 5 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain apop login
auth_worker_max_count = 5
mail_location = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot.passwd