[Dovecot] ZFS Index corruption and Connection reset by peer

Philippe Chevalier chevalier at dspnet.fr
Thu Jun 17 15:55:49 EEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:23:16PM -0400, Dillon Kass wrote:

>I quit using mmap_disable around 7.1-STABLE and haven't had that bug since then. I'm running 8.0-R with Maildirs in a compressed ZFS dataset right now with no problems. That's pretty odd...I'm pretty sure it was in the implementation and had nothing to do with the ZFS version but I assume your datasets and pools are all updated to the latest version?

# uname -v
FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #2: Wed May 12 21:13:40 CEST 2010

# zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 3.

All filesystems are formatted with the current version.

# zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 14.

All pools are formatted using this version.

I can't really be more up to date than this...

Only thing is that Maildirs are all on different datasets, since every user has his own set.

mmap_disable made the problem completely go away.

>> Jun 08 15:01:24 IMAP(xxxxxxxx): Error: close(client out) failed:
>> Connection reset by peer
>
>I've seen this a FEW times. Like 3 in the last six months. seems to have gone away after updating to 1.2..though maybe I just haven't triggered it again.

I have one around every 5 minutes.

Jun 17 13:28:33 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer
Jun 17 13:38:33 xxxx last message repeated 3 times
Jun 17 13:39:42 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer
Jun 17 13:55:33 xxxx last message repeated 2 times
Jun 17 14:19:42 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer
Jun 17 14:25:42 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer
Jun 17 14:42:33 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer
Jun 17 14:48:33 xxxx dovecot: imap-login: net_disconnect() failed: Connection reset by peer

I guess it occurs when users are polling their mailbox, and maybe only with specific clients?

I have no clue.

P.C.