[Dovecot] Ok, I've given up

Chuck McManis chuck.mcmanis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 22:33:10 EEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:

> On 2010-06-17 11:52 AM, Chuck McManis wrote:
> > but I've been evaluating a ZFS based file server as well to see if it
> > can get the same level of reliability.
>
> Care to share which one? Or just a FreeBSD based one of your own making?

Its just a FreeBSD 8.0 system with a Marvell 8 port SATA card and  a couple
of TB of of SATA drives. I configured ZFS pretty much with all the default
knobs. One of my SATA "drives" is actually outside the box so that I can
turn it off to introduce a "failed drive" to the system to evaluate error
handling and recovery.

I've been considering NexentaStor Comunity Edition. The boss doesn't
> like spending money, and we don't really *need* anything super fancy,
> but I really like what I hear about ZFS...

For most NAS stuff so far it seems pretty reasonable. Its both not as space
efficient and better than the NetApp in terms of total available space
becaus the NetApp box lops off like 65GB of every drive in a combination of
'right sizing' and reserving space. ZFS uses the whole drive but has
ginormously fat metadata blocks that it mirrors a lot. The Netapp box out
performs it in terms of both bulk transfers and IOPs  but I've done
practically no tuning on the ZFS system.

--Chuck