[Dovecot] OT Re: Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jun 18 03:06:56 EEST 2010

re-sent , this never made it to the list, my anti spam system ate it :)

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 07:07 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> That's an interesting position/observation given that RHEL, SLES, and CentOS
> (RHEL derivative) have the largest datacenter footprint in the US by far.
> Across both oceans, mainly Europe and South America, SuSE rules pretty much
> everything, from what I've read.

Dunno, I speak from my part of the world where  I've been associated
with over past twenty years
It doesn't surprise me that RedHat have a larger footprint in U.S and
SuSE in EU, being Inc there and having support,
This pretty much means D.C's can employ clueless or first year in the
work force  18 year old's to look after the equipment.
(not attacking that age group, I've met some that run rings around some
doing this for 30 odd years or more

> All the numbers I've seen show Slackware and Gentoo at the very bottom of the
> charts, almost zero penetration.  Debian has far more datacenter penetration

Don't know where you get those figures from, I hope your not going to try use distrowatch as example :)

Though debian, like RH, have a reasonable userbase, I've found again
mostly clueless drones who forever flood lists asking how to do A, B or
many, if not most debian admins are also scared shitless to use source
code of anything, some I've come across were "shocked" to learn that
source code is available, there little world doesn't evolve outside of
"DEB", I gave out 7 updates for SM project plugin a couple months ago
( as the plugin version is still in beta), one guy replied complaining
it was broken package, guess why, because  DPKG couldnt install it - I,
ROFLMFAO! and this person worked for a multi-national company in the
U.S.

it comes down to how much you care about your customers needs, this isnt
the '80s where using the latest and greatest was generally shied upon,
I've used it exclusively for key daemons since about the mid nineties,
all without a single problem.

I do have issue with auto package updates, as an employer in the mid
nineties was bitten by a botched RH update, that rendered several
servers useless. I guess I was also lucky not to be fried by the
infamous debian openssl destructive patch they pushed out couple years
ago, which also affected other OS's if their cert was generated on a
debian system, using the closest to how the software dev team release
their software, and not butchering/distro-ising it and so, means,  more
often than not, fewer problems.

Now, this is so far OT if you wish to continue with this discussion,
please reply directly, there have been too many threads lately on this
list generate into non-dovecot related noise factors which may impact on
the genuine needy.