[Dovecot] Proxy Access (Manager/Secretary) Best Practices?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Jun 18 10:01:53 EEST 2010

Am 17.06.2010 18:31, schrieb Chris Hobbs:
> I've mostly got our dovecot+postfix+SOGo+openldap open source groupware replacement working the way I want it to; we're replacing GroupWise in our organization and I'm thrilled to be doing it. I'm supporting about 1,000 active staff users (and another 6,000 student accounts).
>
> I've got e-mail and calendar sharing working, and it does what it says it will do, but it is (go figure) different in concept from Proxy access under GroupWise. In GroupWise, I can give my secretary proxy access to my account and she can read all of my folders, see my calendars, and send e-mail as me. To someone that receives an e-mail or appointment request from her while she's proxied to me, there's no distinction at all.
>
> Is there a way to mimic this sort of functionality with the tools I've chosen? I've figured out that I can add additional 'mail' attributes to the secretary's record, and those addresses are available as drop-down choices in the SOGo web interface, but with the secretary's name and not the manager.
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> And many thanks to the developers involved for writing and making available such amazingly good software. Eliminating the license fees we've been paying to Novell is allowing me to save a technician that surely would have been eliminated in budget cuts this year.
>
> Chris
>
> Chris Hobbs
> Director, Technology
> New Haven Unified School District
>

> --

the typical solution to solve this is imap acl,
so chief can adjust mail folders read,write etc permission
which are booked additional by the sec. imap client

calenders, address book sharing is not mail
typically its solved by dav/cal etc services

most satisfiing solution in open source is horde framework
so you have all stuff under one webmail client, where you can control
mail folder, calendar, adressbook sharing
for mail clients like thunderbird and outlook use the funambol plugin
also horde has a syncml for mobile devices

i have no idea what you mean with proxy,
sogo etc is a likly solution to what described above, as far i remember

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria