[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Wed Jun 23 15:03:10 EEST 2010

On 06/23/2010 01:22 PM Rajesh M wrote:
> i set
> maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes
> this was done in the morning and dovecot was restarted

> i logged after about 4 hours after the previous login
> again it took around 5 mins to login

> i was monitoring my server load which around 1.5 - 2 on my dual core dual
> xeon machine

> this increased to around 8-9 during the login process

> the no of emails in the box had increase by around 7500 emails

> setting
> maildir_very_dirty_syncs  = yes

> does not seem to help

> i have pasted below my dovecot.conf file

> ################

> base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
> protocols = imap imaps
> log_path = /backup1/qmaillog/dovecot.log
> #ssl_disable = no
> ssl_cert_file = /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
> ssl_key_file = /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
> ssl_cipher_list = djdjjd
> verbose_ssl = yes

> protocol imap {
> listen = *:143
> ssl_listen = *:993
>         }
> ## Login processes
> #login_dir = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
> login_user = dovecot
> login_process_per_connection = no
> login_processes_count = 3
> login_process_size = 128
> login_max_processes_count = 512
> login_greeting = Ready
> #login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r lip=%l %c

> ## Mailbox locations and namespaces
> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
> namespace private {

>     separator = .
>     prefix = INBOX.
>     inbox = yes
> }
> # Mail processes
> verbose_proctitle = yes
> first_valid_uid = 89
> last_valid_uid = 89

> # Maximum number of running mail processes. When this limit is reached,
> max_mail_processes = 200

> # Set max. process size in megabytes. Most of the memory goes to mmap()ing
> # files, so it shouldn't harm much even if this limit is set pretty high.
> mail_process_size = 256

> ## Maildir-specific settings
> maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes

> ## Authentication processes
> disable_plaintext_auth = yes

> auth default {
>     mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
>     passdb vpopmail {
>     args = webmail=127.0.0.1
>     }
>     userdb vpopmail {
>     }
>     user = vpopmail
>     count = 1
>     ssl_require_client_cert = no
>     }
> ################

> thanks
> rajesh

Hm, I can't see a auth master socket in your pasted configuration. (BTW:
send only `dovecot -n` output.) So I guess, you let Qmail store the
messages into the Maildir.
If you would use deliver, Dovecot's LDA <http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA>,
deliver would keep your index files up to date. This should reduce the
delay at login time.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: deadbeef.1017413 at localdomain.org