[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Jun 24 03:12:08 EEST 2010

On 6/23/2010 15:41, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Seth Mattinen put forth on 6/23/2010 4:30 PM:
>
>> When using SquirrelMail, make sure these settings are 'true':
>>
>> Allow server thread sort     : true
>> Allow server-side sorting    : true
>>
>> Otherwise performance will suffer because it will do these things itself
>> rather than letting the server do them.
>
> Is this still true if both SM and Dovecot are on the same box?  I.e. is this a
> CPU bandwidth issue or a network bandwidth issue?  If these settings solve a
> network b/w issue then they're irrelevant when both SM and Dovecot are on the
> same host.

It's more along the lines of SM will not use commands like SORT and
attempt to do things itself because your server does not implement it.
For example, I believe SurgeMail does not implement IMAP SORT so you'd
have to set it to 'false'. Dovecot does, and is much better at executing
SORT than having squirrel simulate it.

~Seth