[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 25 04:18:23 EEST 2010

On 25.6.2010, at 1.37, Noel Butler wrote:

> If its running on a SOHO, you probably wouldn't even be able to measure
> the difference, but for an ISP/Telco or large institution, you will
> certainly notice the reduction in I/O (or loads on your database
> server). This goes for any imap webmail software, not just SM.

But with auth cache enabled, there is no extra database load. The index files are also most likely in OS's cache (assuming local disk), so no extra disk I/O to read them either. I'm sure it's a bit more extra CPU usage, but I'm not all that certain that it's really that a big of a difference with Dovecot.