[Dovecot] importing outlook express messages to dovecot imap server

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Jun 25 06:21:25 EEST 2010

Greg Pearson put forth on 6/24/2010 5:23 AM:

>> I have a local Dovecot 1.1.4 running. I have a big number of outlook
>> express messages that I like to put into Maildir so that I can use
>> Dovecot's imap to access. I can convert them into mbox format. any
>> available means for me to import outlook express/mbox messages into
>> Maildir/Dovecot? command line will be preferred, Thanks,
>>
>> Angelo
>
> Perhaps you can first convert them to mbox and then to Maildir. See:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat

Why not just setup the IMAP connection in Outlook, create IMAP folder(s) on
the Dovecot server, and then just copy or move the messages over from Outlook
local folders to IMAP folders?  That's the simplest, most straight forward,
and least wrought with potential problems, method.  I've migrated many a
standalone Tbird client with local storage to IMAP via this method.  Works great.

--
Stan