[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Jun 26 02:57:52 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 13:49 +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:44 +0200, Amon Ott wrote:
>
> > For whatever it is worth, we use imapproxy, because it allows us to use
> > one-time passwords for webmail users. One login, not many.
>
> With large enough auth cache, I think that should also work with Dovecot
> directly (although if the session takes longer than auth_cache_ttl, the
> user needs to re-login).

As I mentioned earlier It doesnt with squirrelmail, I tried it on
production and the I/O increased a bit, watching logging alone was
giving me a
headache (no, not in debug mode either)..

So I thought I'd try it on a dev box, in case the cache wasnt large
enough, but nope, incidentally imap with evolution works as you indicate
it should, but webmail, not a hope in ..... it is login -action logout
constantly, imapproxy avoids all this crud, so it obviously does
something differently, maybe you find that and incorporate it in
dovecot :) that way all this login logout stuff is only seen in say,
debug mod?
Though the overhead for running imapproxy is non existent it is still an
needed devil in a busy environment.