[Dovecot] system v. virtual mailboxes, was Re: Thunderbird problem

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 23:16:41 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 07:28:52AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-06-28 9:05 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > I guess this is different with virtual users than with system
> > users?  Are you using virtual or system users Charles?
>
> Virtual of course... doesn't everyone? ;)

Virtual mailboxes have their place, of course, but they're overused,
especially at small sites. I suppose this might be in part because
most HOWTOs are for virtual.

I recently saw someone asking for help, having set up a "simple"
server with virtual mailbox (yes, singular) and mysql! The querent
was trying to add a SECOND account and did not know how!

I started into mail on a very small scale, and that approach served
me well. I set up Postfix by reading the comments in main.cf; later
when I got the idea that I might want POP3 or IMAP, I uncommented
lines in inetd.conf (popa3d I think, and uw-imap), and they worked.
When kids got old enough to use email, adduser[1] and there they go.

I didn't get into virtual mailboxes until later, on a job, and when I
did, I knew enough to question the wisdom of it. Why did we need this
additional authentication database? All our users were using Samba
via system accounts too. It could have been all integrated! The
"advantages" I was told of doing it the virtual way were all based on
misunderstandings. (One common one: "I don't want mail users to have
shell access." Giving them a shell of /bin/false and/or setting
sshd_config(5) access controls does the job.)

I think many if not most of the questions we see on these lists are
from people who have made a bad choice of using virtual mailboxes,
often as a direct consequence of that choice.

Email grew up with Unix, so it's no accident that Unix shell usage
has very nice integration with email. Probably a lot of the folks
reading this list would not even need an IMAPd if they knew more
about these things.

I often encounter frustrated newbies who tried to do the whole thing
all at once. It makes much more sense to start off small, throw in
the relational databases later, learning the finer points of how to
manage your OS along the way. The secret is that you can have a
fully-functional mail server with very little bother, using system
accounts. Postfix (or other MTA) and Dovecot will pretty much Just
Work, right out of the box.

[1] adduser is a Slackware-specific frontend wrapper script for
    useradd(8) and other tools from the shadow package.