[Dovecot] Using a ramdisk but Timeout while waiting for lock for transaction log file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 2 16:34:08 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:50 +0000, Andrew Hearn wrote:

> Mar 02 11:47:14 POP3(USERDELETED): Error: Timeout while waiting for lock
> for transaction log file
> /ramdisk/indexes/DOMAINDELETED/USERDELETED/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log
>
> Our NFS is rather busy, and we having other warnings to that affect, but
>  wouldn't have though we'd get timeouts on a ramdisk.

Could your NFS be so busy that some requests can take over 3 minutes?
(Or maybe the request just got completely lost?) At least in that
situation that can happen: Process a locks dovecot.index.log, then
starts reading/writing dovecot-uidlist file, which takes >3 minutes and
in the mean time process b tries to lock dovecot.index.log but fails
after 3 mins of waiting.