[Dovecot] Mailing list's prefix

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Mar 5 00:45:30 EET 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Rick Romero wrote:

> Quoting "Harlan Stenn" <Harlan.Stenn at pfcs.com>:
>
>> I would have preferred this be a private reply but I like to honor the
>> sender's request re Reply-To:.
>>
>> I have a slight preference for keeping the [Dovecot] prefix in the
>> Subject: header, as it makes it really obvious to me where a message in
>> my inbox comes from.  I have never liked to pre-sort incoming messages
>> into separate folders.  The fact that the prefix is relativelyh short
>> also helps.

> I think those of us who don't filter are benefited the most by having the
> prefix.  I'm on a couple lists that aren't filtered, though not as high
> traffic.
>
> I don't read ALL email, and would prefer to delete non-relevant emails
> without opening the message.  Without a prefix, I sometimes have a hard time
> telling if a problem is directed to me (personal/biz support) or a list when
> I delete in bulk via thin clients (iPhone, Horde).

+1

I let lower traffic lists land in my inbox.  I eat my own dogfood as well
as far as mail is concerned, and we don't let users configure procmail (at
some point they'll get basic sieve support).  I also find myself checking
email quite often on my phone, and seeing the listname in the subject is
very helpful.

Charles