[Dovecot] Could use some help setting Dovecot up for the first time

joe joe at hostedcontent.com
Sun Mar 7 22:35:55 EET 2010

That's what i thought too but for the life of me i cannot figure out
what is causing it. I figured i must have missed something along the
way. I'm on my 5th or so time installing everything (within a jail), so
hopefully i get it right this time!

Wish me luck, and if anyone out there might have an idea of how to
resolve this issue (it happens everytime i install everything) i would
love to hear it!

Joe

On 3/7/2010 2:46 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2010, at 11:18 AM, joe wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I've managed to get most of postfix and dovecot running using the
>> howto located on dovecot.org.
>>
>> So, I went to go test sending a email locally and i am getting this
>> error which i cannot seem to resolve. Any help would be welcomed.
>>

>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Info: auth input:
>> home=/var/vmail/test at fasti.net/
>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Info: auth input:
>> mail=maildir:/var/vmail/test at fasti.net/
>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Info: auth input: uid=101
>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Info: auth input: gid=12
>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Info: auth input:
>> quota=maildir:storage=0
>> Mar 07 19:14:55 deliver(test at fasti.net): Fatal: setgid(12) failed with
>> euid=101(vmail), gid=6(mail), egid=6(mail): Operation not permitted
>
> I usually find this type of message "Operation not permitted" to be a
> permissions issue. Check that the user "deliver" running as has the
> needed permissions to work in your directories "/var/vmail".
>
> // Brad

believed to be clean.