[Dovecot] Using MySQL For Mailboxes?

Tue Mar 9 13:07:53 EET 2010

On 2010-03-08 11:00 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Dovecot supports looking up user information from MySQL, but not
>> actually storing mails there. If you really wanted to store mails on
>> MySQL, you'd have to use dbmail instead of Dovecot.

> Is it even worth it with less than 500 users? I mean I don't have any
> problems right now creating individual users and their home
> directories in Linux but I have never used MySQL for mail so can't
> differentiate the two. I guess I don't even know if this worth the
> effort to change my configuration especially if it involves changing
> out my IMAP server for 'dbmail' which I know nothing about until you
> mentioned it.

???

You aren't listening. Storing *email* in mysql is a totally different
concept from storing USER DATA in mysql.

You do NOT have to switch to dbmail to change your config to start using
MySQL for managing your user accounts.

Personally, I would use either MySQL or PostgreSQL for managing my users
even if I only had 5. But imo, for 25 or more, doing it by hand is nuts.
For 500?????

Switch to MySQL for your user management, unless you just like
ridiculously busy work.

--

Best regards,

Charles