[Dovecot] Sendmail / Dovecot Config

John Moorhouse john.moorhouse at 3jays.me.uk
Thu Mar 11 18:40:27 EET 2010

I'm trying to set up dovecot on a Fedora box for about 5 users, I have a
raid 5 array that is used for home folders etc mounted on /home, and I've
created a directory /home/mail, which I have used a sym link to map
/var/mail to. I've created folders for each of the users with relevant
permissions and edited the dovecote config with:-

namespace private {
separator = /
prefix = "#dbox/"
location = dbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
inbox = yes
hidden = yes
list = no   # for v1.1+
}
namespace private {
separator = /
prefix =
location = dbox:/var/mail/%u/mail
}

I was hoping that this would create a inbox in the root of each users
folder in the mail directory and a sub folder to hold any user created
folders.

This all seems to work as I can create folders, copy emails to them
r-arrange the folders etc as I want via a mail client using imap on 143.

My only problem is that I have also configured send mail as best as I know
to listen on port 25 as an SMPT client but any emails sent to it to one of
the email addresses are saved by sendmail to /var/spool/mail/username and
not picked up by dovecot

Thanks

John