[Dovecot] Emails Disappearing -- Mystery

Mario Antonio support at webjogger.net
Fri Mar 12 23:13:36 EET 2010

On 3/12/2010 3:33 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Mario Antonio wrote:
>
>> 1)
>> The user shuts down his apple mail software, his Iphone, and the Web
>> interface:
>
> OK, but are you _sure_ that no other user / connection accesses the
> mailbox?
>
>> 2)
>> 2010-03-11 15:54:48 deliver(my_user at mydomain.com): Info:
>> From=noreply at craigslist.org :
>> msgid=<20100311205447.0C0FE118B04 at web8p.int.craigslist.org> : saved
>> mail to INBOX
>
> OK, Sieve has been processed now, Postfix & Dovecot are done with the
> message.
>
>> 3)
>> Email is deleted !!!
>> 2010-03-11 15:54:49 IMAP(my_user at mydomain.com): Info: delete:
>> uid=10719, flags=(\Deleted \Recent $Junk),
>> msgid=<20100311205447.0C0FE118B04 at web8p.int.craigslist.org>,
>> from=craigslist.org <noreply at craigslist.org>,
>> subject=POST/EDIT/DELETE : (accounting/financejobs) Test Post
>> 2010-03-11 15:54:49 IMAP(my_user at mydomain.com): Info: expunge:
>> uid=10719, flags=(\Deleted \Recent $Junk),
>> msgid=<20100311205447.0C0FE118B04 at web8p.int.craigslist.org>,
>> from=craigslist.org <noreply at craigslist.org>,
>> subject=POST/EDIT/DELETE : (accounting/finance jobs) Test Post ,
>> size=2776
>>
>> Who is deleting this email ?
>> I can see the flag $Junk ... perhaps some filter somewhere is seeing
>> that flag and proceeding to delete it.
>
> There is another MUA monitoring this mailbox.
> It does not seem to be Thunderbird, as it seems to use the "Junk"
> keyword.
>
> I think you can use tools like "fuser" or "lsof" on the index of the
> user's INBOX to get the pid of the process. Dunno if there are tools
> to detect inotify/epoll/etc. on a directory.
>
> Regards,
>
> - -- Steffen Kaiser

Steffen,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.
That's my conclusion too. There must be another email client somewhere
with a filter ..
I just wanted to confirm from the Gurus  that after the email is saved
into the inbox, Server side Dovecot process cannot be blamed for a
Delete/Expunge instance (if we know that no plugin of that nature is
present in the server)

M.A.