[Dovecot] Fatal: open() failed for /var/run/dovecot/login: Permission denied

Andy Yen andyyen at hep.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 15 04:46:56 EET 2010

I keep getting this message when I try to start dovecot using the -F option.
Fatal: open() failed for /var/run/dovecot/login: Permission denied

Checking /var/run/dovecot/login folder permissions does not seem to
indicate anything wrong as root has all the permissions it needs.  If I
am not mistaken, dovecot can run as root while in the login directory
correct?

When I try to start the dovecot service, it fails with the message:
dovecot dead but subsys locked.

Can anybody help me resolve this issue?

I am running RHEL5.4.

Thanks in advance.