[Dovecot] Courier to dovecot migrations

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Mar 16 12:40:27 EET 2010

Daniel Grilo put forth on 3/16/2010 5:08 AM:
> Well, I've been all day yesterday solving this .. and of course a simple
> [root at magenta ~]# chmod a+rx /opt/mailboxes/
>
> allows me to see the mails from scanner user.
>
> The only problem now is when sending mails to that user I still get a
> warning: connect #3 to subsystem private/dovecot: Connection refused
>
> I don't think I can set postfix to deliver directly to maildir instead
> of passing through dovecot ?
> I don't know if the home_mailbox directive allows us to use vars like %u
> ? or can you see anything wrong in my confs !?

What version of Postfix?

Do you have the following in main.cf?  Postfix must know where to find the
Dovecot delivery agent.  In your main.cf snippet you tell Postfix to deliver
to Dovecot but you don't tell how.  You need the how:

mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
#  or
mailbox_command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
#  or
mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
#  or wherever it was installed in your system.

Get dovecot LDA working.  There's no reason you can't.  But, to answer your
other question, yes, you can have Postfix drop mail directly into maildirs.
 Both questions are answered here.  Hit the web page, as all the parameters
are hot linked to more thorough usage information.

http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html

MAILBOX DELIVERY
       The default per-user mailbox is a file in  the  UNIX  mail
       spool  directory (/var/mail/user or /var/spool/mail/user);
       the location can be specified with  the  mail_spool_direc-
       tory  configuration  parameter. Specify a name ending in /
       for qmail-compatible maildir delivery.

       Alternatively, the per-user mailbox can be a file  in  the
       user's  home  directory  with  a  name  specified  via the
       home_mailbox configuration parameter. Specify  a  relative
       path name. Specify a name ending in / for qmail-compatible
       maildir delivery.

       Mailbox delivery can be delegated to an  external  command
       specified  with  the mailbox_command_maps and mailbox_com-
       mand configuration parameters. The command  executes  with
       the  privileges  of  the  recipient user (exceptions: sec-
       ondary groups are not enabled;  in  case  of  delivery  as
       root,   the   command  executes  with  the  privileges  of
       default_privs).

       Mailbox delivery can be delegated to  alternative  message
       transports  specified  in  the  master.cf file.  The mail-
       box_transport_maps  and  mailbox_transport   configuration
       parameters  specify  an optional message transport that is
       to be used for all local recipients, regardless of whether
       they  are  found  in  the UNIX passwd database.  The fall-
       back_transport_maps  and   fallback_transport   parameters
       specify  an optional message transport for recipients that
       are not found in the aliases(5) or UNIX passwd database.

       In the case of UNIX-style mailbox delivery,  the  local(8)
       daemon prepends a "From sender time_stamp" envelope header
       to each message, prepends an  X-Original-To:  header  with
       the  recipient  address  as  given to Postfix, prepends an
       optional Delivered-To:  header  with  the  final  envelope
       recipient address, prepends a Return-Path: header with the
       envelope sender address, prepends a > character  to  lines
       beginning  with  "From  ", and appends an empty line.  The
       mailbox is locked for exclusive access while  delivery  is
       in  progress.  In  case of problems, an attempt is made to
       truncate the mailbox to its original length.

       In the case of maildir delivery, the local daemon prepends
       an  optional  Delivered-To: header with the final envelope
       recipient address, prepends an X-Original-To: header  with
       the  recipient address as given to Postfix, and prepends a

--
Stan