[Dovecot] Authentication userdb file / configuration help - newbie question...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 16 21:46:55 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 18:06 -0300, Zilon X wrote:

> "domain"[TAB]"account"[TAB]"encrypted-passwd"[TAB]"account-id"[TAB]"account-dir"[TAB]"account-type"[NEWLINE]
>
> How can authenticate Dovecot against this userdb file? Was anyone doing that?

The only way would be to write checkpassword script that parses it.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/CheckPassword

Easier would be to write a script that parses the file and creates
passwd-like file, which Dovecot can authenticate against, and then just
keep those two files in sync.

> Maybe, can I authenticate Dovecot using SMTP Auth?

I don't think XMail supports authentication via Dovecot.