[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes basics

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Mar 19 18:27:45 EET 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 05:50:44PM +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> But isn't a client like Thunderbird (3.0.3) supposed to
>
>   . show me the #shared (even if no one shares mailboxes to me) "folder" (because of list = yes )?
>
>   . let me share, let's say the .sous.arbo mailbox ? If yes, how ? Or should I first pre-set some acl files ???
>
> For now, it says : "This is a personnal mail folder. It is not shared."

I made some progress and managed to share a mailbox with my setup but :

a) I wonder if TB even support the SETACL command since I don't see how I can
   modify an ACL through the TB UI.

b) For things to work, I had to set up loose permissions on the maildirs and
the shared-mailbox file. I've read on this list (from the 1.2 beta days) that
it is supposed to be easier with virtual user (as opposed to system users) :
why ? mailboxes end up being on the filesystem anyway...

In fact, I don't really understand the difference between virtual and system
users...Aren't they seen as almost the same for dovecot ?

c) What's weird also is if I put a "dovecot-acl" file in a maildir I want to
share, TB does not see it. But if I telnet and issue the SETACL command which
end up generating the same dovecot-acl file, TB then sees the shared mailbox...

Timo ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau