[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes basics

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Mon Mar 22 12:12:08 EET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:51:26AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > My idea was to put everybody sharing folders and everybody, who may access
> > shared folders, into the same group "doveshared", then leverage the Unix
> > permissions, that this group may access the folders. So I do not need to use
> > 0777 everywhere.

> Yes, this is what I originally meant with "it's more difficult for system users".

I get it Timo. But you seem to imply that virtual user setup == single shared
UID. In such a setup, isn't it mandatory not to give access to the mailboxes
by anything else than IMAP. If so, isn't it quite the same as 0777 with a
mail_location outside of user's reach (except through IMAP) ?

You maybe would you rely on filesystem acls to have a finer grain access control ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau