[Dovecot] corrupted mbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 26 14:39:11 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 13:27 +0100, Jernej Porenta wrote:
> Heya,
>
> we have two IMAP (UW-imap and dovecot) servers accessing the same mbox
> files for our users (don't ask why) and sometimes the UW-imap corrupts
> the mbox file. The mbox looks just like normal mbox except it does not
> have the proper 'From ' beginning of the file (usually there are some
> random tidbits in the begining of the file, which can be easily
> stripped to recover the working mbox).

The corruption shouldn't be happening if both use the same locking
mechanisms. I think UW-IMAP uses dotlock + flock. See if changing
Dovecot to use those avoids the corruption?

> The problem is that if we use dovecot for POP3 server, the dovecot
> logs the mbox corruption just fine:
> POP3(username): Couldn't init INBOX: Mailbox isn't a valid mbox file
>
> But if we use IMAP for the same mailbox, dovecot opens the file and
> does not report any corruption, the user on the other hand sees just
> empty mailbox.

What Dovecot version? The IMAP code is pretty much the same as POP3, so
I don't really see why IMAP wouldn't be noticing it.