[Dovecot] INBOX. namespace

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 16:00:11 EET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 02:45:40PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > After this the inbox appears to be empty, and I cannot select the junk
> > folder at all:
>
> Something's seriously wrong. Just changing namespace prefix shouldn't do
> anything like that. (And since I haven't heard of horror stories of
> v1.2.11 breaking, I don't think I just broke it either.)
>
> What does this show:
>
> a LIST "" *

a list "" *
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
a OK List completed.

> Also, make sure that dovecot -n shows only that one namespace you
> defined with the exact settings you intended.

Yes, it was fine.

However, I've now found the problem using ktrace. The homedir attribute in
LDAP is
/mail/0/6/37/30/brian%dev.example.com/

but when I do 'examine inbox' I see it has been munged:

 30362 imap     GIO   fd 0 read 17 bytes
       "a examine INBOX\r
       "
 30362 imap     RET   read 17/0x11
 30362 imap     CALL  stat(0x186012a0,0xbfbfe4b0)
 30362 imap     NAMI  "/mail/0/6/37/30/briandev.example.comev.example.com/tmp"

Furthermore, I can make it work properly just by adding

  location = maildir:%h

inside the 'namespace' setting, rather than relying on it defaulting to the
mail_location setting (which is the same as that)

So it looks like "%dev..." was having "%d" expanded. As I have a config
workaround it's not a big deal, but it certainly was confusing; maybe this
is one level of attribute expansion which you didn't intend taking place.

Regards,

Brian.